It’s great for baking a cake or kicking off a stir-fry – but did you know that coconut oil doubles as one of our favourite ingredients to use in at-home pampering? It’s quite amazing how many expensive beauty products you’ll be tempted to turf once you see how versatile a simple jar of coconut oil can be. We recommend investing in the best extra virgin organic coconut oil you can afford. Read on for our cheat sheet on how to use it for beautiful hair, baby-soft skin, healthy heels and much more…
- Coconut oil as… eye make-up remover. It really works – even on waterproof mascara! Simply dab a little onto a cotton ball and gently sweep it over your closed eyes. The oil breaks down the eye make-up and moisturizes the delicate skin around the eye at the same time. Win-win!
- Coconut oil as… a face cleanser. Because it’s anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and moisturizing, it doubles as a great way to remove foundation and other make-up. The fact that it smells like you’re on a tropical island doesn’t hurt, either.
- Coconut oil as… a heel balm. Suffering with dry, cracked heels? Simply rub a little coconut oil into your feet before bed and pop a pair of cotton socks on to really help the oil the penetrate.
- Coconut oil as… a hair serum. All you need is a small drop of coconut oil between your hands, rub it to melt it then wipe it over the ends of your hair to tame your tresses and prevent flyaway hair. (Don’t go overboard or your hair will look greasy!)
- Coconut oil as… a pre-wash treatment. Suffering dry, split or brittle hair? Give your tresses some love with this treatment. Let your hair hang upside down and rub a scoop of coconut oil through your strands until your hair is completely saturated with the oil. Twist it into a bun and put a shower cap on to warm the oil and your scalp for a gorgeous hot-oil treatment (you could even put a hair dryer on a warm setting and blow over the shower cap to really help the oil penetrate the hair cuticle). Leave on for at least 30 minutes or overnight, then wash your hair as you normally would. (Tip: you’ll need to wash your hair twice to get all the oil out.) The vitamins and fatty acids in coconut oil can remove build-up in your hair AND help your hair grow faster and thicker.
- Coconut oil as… a skin moisturiser. Rubbed onto skin after showering, a little coconut oil can keep your skin beautifully moisturized all day. Or just use a small handful of our Coffee Coconut Scrub or Cacao & Lime Scrub – both are made with raw organic coconut oil to moisturize as you exfoliate.
- Coconut oil as… a lip scrub or balm. Run out of your usual lip balm? Slick a little coconut oil on with a finger. If you’ve got dry, chapped lips, you can mix a teaspoon of coconut oil with a teaspoon of sea salt and use it to gently scrub your lips until they feel smooth.
- Coconut oil as… an eye treatment. A tiny drop on your finger dabbed underneath your eyes can reduce the appearance of dark circles and fine lines.
Love these ideas? You’ll love our exclusive pantry pampering recipe pack – just sign up to our newsletter to grab yours now! And don’t forget to check our health and beauty posts for more like this one.