Last week, I wrote about four of my favourite essential oils and why I think they should be part of your home cleaning kit. Today, I want to share some really simple recipes for using those oils to maintain a beautiful, clean home. Let’s go!
- Floor cleaner Add 20 drops of lemon and 20 tea tree oil or eucalyptus oil to 10ml of natural dishwashing liquid. Mix and add to a mop bucket of water to leave floors bright and smelling divine.
- Stainless steel cleaner Add a few drops of lemon to a little olive oil and use it to clean stainless steel around the kitchen – be it on the oven, the range or coffee machine! Also works with a few drops of eucalyptus on a moist cloth.
- Natural disinfectant Add 20 drops lemon oil, 10 drops tea tree oil to 250ml distilled water and a dash of vinegar into a spray bottle. Mix and use to clean counter tops and mouldy shower recesses.
- Post shower cleaner Mix ¼ cup white vinegar, 1 tbsp of natural dishwashing liquid, 20 drops of tea tree oil and 10 drops of lemon oil to spray after a shower to cut through soap scum and keep the tiles fresh and mildew free.
- Window cleaner Mix 10 drops of lemon oil and a dash of vinegar to a small bucket of water. Use it on glass for the cleanest windows in town!
- Sticky residue cleaner Kids stickers all over the furniture? Rub them with a bit of lemon oil or eucalyptus oil, leave for half a minute then peel off the sticker and its gooey residue, no sweat.
- Cobweb cleaner + spider deterrent Add a couple of drops of lemon oil to a cloth, wrap around the broom head and sweep over corners to clean away cobwebs and deter spiders from coming back. Works a treat outside too, but with the weather you need to re-apply more often.
- Mattress freshener Mattresses need more love than we give them, so try this great recipe to freshen up your sleeping quarters! Mix 10 drops of lavender oil and 1/2 cup baking soda. Sprinkle over your mattress and let it sit for at least half an hour before vacuuming the powder up.
- All purpose kitchen cleaner Pour a cup of vinegar into a spray bottle and 6 drops of lavender for a quick, easy bench top and basin cleaner.
- Scuff mark cleaner Add two capfuls of eucalyptus to the bucket water when mopping. Leaves the floors clean and the house smells fresh!
- Moth deterrant Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to a cotton ball and leave in your wardrobe for a fresh smell and to deter moths and silverfish.
- Toilet bowl deodoriser For a quick freshen up of your toilet, add a couple of drops of eucalyptus oil to the bowl. The oil will stay there until the toilet is flushed, freshening the bathroom.
- Kitchen bin cleaner. Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to the water when you wash out your rubbish bin, it removes stale smells and keeps the bin fresh.
- Silver cleaner. Put a few drops of lemon oil on an old toothbrush, sprinkle baking soda on top and brush the silver item until you remove the tarnish. Buff with a silver polishing cloth or just a cotton ball.
Love these recipes? Don’t miss our exclusive pantry pampering recipe pack – just sign up to our newsletter and it’ll be whizzing its way to your inbox in no time flat!